Saturday, April 07, 2012

Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos


I have a pretty bad habit of stopping by McDonald's on my way to work for a breakfast burrito and iced coffee... every morning.  I realized that this little habit of mine was running me about $90 a month... ouch!  So, in working on my budget and trying to increase the amount of money I can put away each month, I began looking for an alternative.  Found it!  These homemade burritos are not only easy and quick to throw together on a Sunday (took about 30 min), but much more economical and even customizable :)  Even better... they allow me an extra 10 minutes every morning that I don't have to stop at McDonald's... as they reheat in the microwave in about 2 minutes.. something I can do at work.

8 count package of 8" flour tortillas
1 dozen eggs
1 package (10 count) Armour Brown and Serve Sausage - or any breakfast meat you like
shredded cheese - your choice
your favorite salsa (optional)

Prepare the scrambled eggs as you normally would, seasoning to taste.

Prepare the sausages according to the package directions, cool slightly and chop.

For each burrito, add about 1/3 cup of the eggs, some sausage, cheese and a spoonful of salsa.  Fold the ends in and roll up.  Set aside and repeat for the remaining tortillas.

Wrap each tortilla tightly in plastic wrap and place in a gallon size freezer bag and freeze.

The next morning, grab one on your way out the door... when you get to work, remove the plastic wrap and wrap loosely in a paper towel, microwave on high 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.  Voila!  A quick, protein packed breakfast that will keep you going all morning.

Cost breakdown for 8 servings:

Tortillas - $1.89
Dozen eggs - $1.19
Brown and Serve Sausage - $1.19
Cheese - this will depend on the kind you use, but I used the Great Value brand sharp cheddar and used less than half the package, so about $1.00
Salsa - again it depends on your choice, I used about half of a small jar of Pace picante sauce, $1.00

Total cost per serving: $0.64

Considering these are about twice the amount of food as the $1.59 burrito at McDonald's...  not a bad deal at all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment